Jerusalem is a city rich in history and culture, attracting millions of tourists from all over the world every year. However, visiting such a popular destination can quickly become expensive. Fear not, though – with careful planning, you can make the most of your trip to Jerusalem without breaking the bank. In this budget guide, we’ll share some tips and tricks to help you save money and enjoy all that this amazing city has to offer.
Budget Guide to Jerusalem: How to Save Money on Your Trip
- Plan ahead: Start by researching affordable accommodation and transportation options. Consider staying in hostels or Airbnb rentals, and use public transportation instead of taxis.
- Visit during the off-season: Jerusalem can get crowded and expensive during peak tourist season. Consider visiting during the off-season, when prices are lower and crowds are thinner.
- Take advantage of discounts: Many attractions offer discounts for students, seniors, and children. Don’t be afraid to ask for discounts, as they can often save you a significant amount of money.
- Free walking tours: Many companies offer free walking tours of Jerusalem, allowing you to explore the city’s highlights without spending a dime.
- Avoid guided tours: While guided tours can be informative, they are often expensive. Instead, consider exploring the city on your own or with a group of friends.
Top Affordable Attractions to Visit in Jerusalem
- Old City: The Old City of Jerusalem is a must-visit destination, with its narrow streets, historic buildings, and religious sites. Entrance to the Old City itself is free, but some attractions within it have admission fees.
- Yad Vashem: The Holocaust History Museum at Yad Vashem is an emotional and educational experience that is free to the public. It offers a comprehensive overview of the Holocaust, including personal stories and artifacts.
- Mount of Olives: The Mount of Olives is a significant religious site and offers stunning views of the city. It is free to visit and explore on foot.
- Jerusalem Botanical Gardens: The Jerusalem Botanical Gardens are a peaceful and beautiful oasis in the heart of the city. Admission is affordable and includes access to the gardens, concerts, and events.
Cheap Eats: Where to Find Delicious Food on a Budget in Jerusalem
- Mahane Yehuda Market: The Mahane Yehuda Market is a bustling and colorful market full of fresh produce, spices, and street food. You can find delicious and affordable eats here, such as shakshuka, falafel, and hummus.
- Hummus Lina: Hummus Lina is a small and unassuming restaurant that serves some of the best hummus in Jerusalem. The portions are generous and the prices are reasonable.
- Abu Shukri: Abu Shukri is another popular hummus spot that is known for its delicious and affordable dishes. You can also find other Middle Eastern specialties on the menu.
- Pizzeria Rimon: Pizzeria Rimon is a local favorite that serves mouth-watering pizzas at affordable prices. The toppings are fresh and the crust is crispy.
With these tips and recommendations, you can enjoy all that Jerusalem has to offer without breaking the bank. From exploring the historic Old City to indulging in delicious Middle Eastern cuisine, there’s something for everyone in this magical city. Happy travels!